I want to learn a new language...

Jacob Fugal lukfugl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 13:09:59 MST 2007

> one of the problems I have with Ruby [is] that it's got those kinds of
> quirks that currently make it difficult to fully understand it, and
> difficult to make another Ruby implementation.  I imagine a lot of the
> quirks will go away with time as Ruby matures, though.

I agree those quirks are present. While I still love Ruby despite
them, I want them to go away too. There's been a recent surge in
alternative implementations of Ruby and from the conversations I've
followed, they've run into those quirks as well.

Fortunately, the multiple implementors (including the canonical
implementations of pre-1.9 C-ruby and post-1.9 YARV) have begun to
coordinate amongst themselves. At the last RubyConf there was an
Implementor's Summit, and at the upcoming MountainWest RubyConf (held
in our own Salt Lake) there will be another summit. Charles Nutter and
Thomas Enebo (JRuby), Evan Phoenix (rubinius -- ruby written in ruby
with a smalltalkish VM), John Lam (RubyCLR), and our own BYU alumnus
Kevin Tew (Cardinal -- Ruby on Parrot) will all be present.

Ruby has some maturing to do and has had growing pains, especially
recently. I believe the future continues to be bright, however.

Jacob Fugal