[OT] Worst Language Ever!

Hill, Greg grhill at corp.untd.com
Thu Feb 15 12:54:54 MST 2007

I rather enjoyed programming in BASIC back on my Commodore 64 and 8088.
Sure, it sucks compared to modern languages, but at the time it was
awesome.  I guess the line numbers got annoying, but besides that, loads
of fun.  Sitting with my uncle programming games (er... typing the code
from the magazine to create the game) on our Commodore 64 is what got me
into programming.  After that I learned Pascal, C++, C, delved into
Delphi briefly, and then Perl and Javascript.  Despite some huge gaping
flaws (like lack of namespaces, no way to include other libraries inside
a library, etc), Javascript is actually quite fun, and I love Perl to
death.  Perl just feels so expressive.  I can understand why people hate
it, but it lets me do what I want and stays out of the way.  Ruby looks
to be that way, also, but I haven't figured out a project to motivate me
to learn it yet.  The only one I didn't enjoy was C++, to be honest, and
I don't think it remotely qualifies as worst language ever.

Greg