UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Tom Hanks tjhanks at forgeglobal.com
Thu Feb 15 12:54:31 MST 2007

Grant Shipley wrote:
> On 2/15/07, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:
>> Grant Shipley wrote:
>> > According to the 2005 Utah Foundation Report, UVSC bachelor degree
>> > graduates earn more money than graduates from any other Utah college
>> > or university.
>>
>> Frankly I find that hard to believe. I don't know much about UVSC's CS
>> curriculum, nor do I know many people who went to UVSC (though the few
>> that I do know are excellent people -- I'm looking at you Gundies). What
>> I do know is that none of the companies I have worked for have ever
>> hired anyone from UVSC. They've never even recruited there. Maybe that's
>> a mistake on their part. I don't know. Anyone care to comment? Maybe I
>> should be encouraging our recruiting efforts toward UVSC.
>>

> I don't find it that hard to believe.  Of the people who I graduated
> from UVSC with we are all making greater than 80k a year and 30% of us
> are making > 100k a year.
>
> It could be the fact that most students who attend the CS program at
> UVSC begin working full time while attending school and therefore are
> not hired for entry level positions when they graduate?
>
> --
> grant

In my opinion, experience counts a whole lot more than the source of the
degree.  Companies need someone to hit the ground running and don't
always want to bear the burden of the learning curve, so they try to
shorten as much as possible.  Book worms with class projects are very
low on the totem pole.  Therefore, if the argument by grant is valid
then I confirm it is a solid contribution for the statistics being what
they are.

For what it's worth, I have interviewed students from all four colleges
listed and each time I interview a BYU student or graduate, the
interviewee's primary concern tends to be "How much money are you going
to pay me."  I find students / graduates from the other colleges to be
much more of  the "I'm hungry and willing to work" demeanor.  That's
always a winner in my book and I suspect the books of other people too.
That isn't to say that being concerned with pay is a bad thing, for it
is not.  But it shouldn't be the primary concern that is communicated to
the company doing the hiring.  Someone is going to get hired and paid.

tom