UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Michael Brailsford brailsmt at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 15 12:48:14 MST 2007

I don't know if it is necessarily true that outside Utah you can get a better salary.   I graduated in Dec. 2003 with a BS CS from BYU, the job market at the time sucked hard.  I went home to Missouri and it took 6 months to find a computer related job.  I worked at a Ford Assembly plant for 4 months.  When I got hired, they low-balled me at 38k/year, I knew it, they knew it and we both knew the market sucked and I didn't have much choice if I wanted to feed my family.  18 months later I got a better job and got roughly a 40% pay raise.  This is in Kansas City, Missouri.  My understanding is that starting salaries in Utah are better than 38k for a BS CS degree.  Though the cost of living is more.  Housing in particular is crazy expensive in Utah compared to here.  A 1500 sqft home on 1/3 acre lot is about $160.  The biggest obstacle for me when first looking for a job is that no one has a clue about BYU.  It is pigeon-holed as that Mormon university with a good football program.  Where I work now there are 18 people out of about 9,000 that are BYU alums.  I am the only software engineer.  However, I have interviewed at a few companies whose names anyone here would recognize, and they generally speak very highly of BYU alums with whom they have worked, though these companies are on the west coast.

I took a few CS classes at UVSC.  They were fine classes.  I didn't feel that they were any better or worse than BYU courses, just different.  I am very thankful to the high quality of the coursework at BYU.  But then again, most of what I learned in school that distinguishes me from my colleagues I learned by working on Open Source projects.

-Michael