UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Feb 15 12:46:59 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 12:31 -0700, Daniel C. wrote:
> But the Comp. Sci. department, imho, just doesn't cut it.

I'm a BYU CS grad. After high school, if I'd known then what I know now
I would have thought twice before choosing BYU. I still might have
chosen BYU, but I'd probably have gotten a CE degree instead.

It is relatively easy to graduate from BYU without any real experience.
They take the department name seriously: Computer _Science_. Not
Software Engineering. Not Computer Programming.

Maybe BYU is a good place to prepare for graduate school if you take the
time get to know your professors. I don't know. Nearly everything I know
and use now as a programmer and trainer, I learned while avoiding my
homework.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good professors and useful classes in
the BYU CS program, but not nearly so many as there should be. I won't
pretend to know the complete solution, but in part BYU would benefit
from more professors with industry experience.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill