UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Feb 15 12:46:59 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 12:31 -0700, Daniel C. wrote:
> But the Comp. Sci. department, imho, just doesn't cut it.

I'm a BYU CS grad. After high school, if I'd known then what I know now
I would have thought twice before choosing BYU. I still might have
chosen BYU, but I'd probably have gotten a CE degree instead.

It is relatively easy to graduate from BYU without any real experience.
They take the department name seriously: Computer _Science_. Not
Software Engineering. Not Computer Programming.

Maybe BYU is a good place to prepare for graduate school if you take the
time get to know your professors. I don't know. Nearly everything I know
and use now as a programmer and trainer, I learned while avoiding my

Don't get me wrong, there are some good professors and useful classes in
the BYU CS program, but not nearly so many as there should be. I won't
pretend to know the complete solution, but in part BYU would benefit
from more professors with industry experience.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill