UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 12:31:30 MST 2007

On 2/15/07, Grant Shipley <gshipley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't find it that hard to believe.  Of the people who I graduated
> from UVSC with we are all making greater than 80k a year and 30% of us
> are making > 100k a year.
>
> It could be the fact that most students who attend the CS program at
> UVSC begin working full time while attending school and therefore are
> not hired for entry level positions when they graduate?

Based on my exceptionally small (one person each) sample of BYU and
UVSC graduates, I'm not surprised.  The BYU graduate was clueless (he
didn't even know how a RAID array worked or how to do basic Unix
command-line stuff), but seemed to have a good grasp of theory.  The
UVSC graduate was full of practical information about how to get
things done, as well as a good dose of theory.

I know from casually meeting other BYU graduates that this is not at
all representative, so don't think that that's what I'm saying.  But
from what I've seen of BYU's computer science program, I am not
impressed.  I was at the U of MN before I came to BYU, and it was like
going from a serious scholarly and computing environment to a bunch of
kids playing with Fischer Price tools and calling it academia.  I'm
sure you can get a good education there, and I know that BYU gets some
of the best students on earth.  My Dad was a Dean there for several
years, and is still a professor there today, and there are many, many
good things that can be said about BYU's academic environment, etc.
But the Comp. Sci. department, imho, just doesn't cut it.

Go ahead and flame me now, I probably deserve it.

Dan