UVSC BYU U of U etc was"Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Jeremy Hansen atticusser at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 12:16:50 MST 2007

> > Grant Shipley wrote:
> > > According to the 2005 Utah Foundation Report, UVSC bachelor degree
> > > graduates earn more money than graduates from any other Utah college
> > > or university.

Some interesting facts from the report (granted, the data is a couple of
years old):

55% of BYU BS degree grads earn less than 30K in their first year after
graduation and only 4% earned over 60K (compare that to almost twice as many
from UVSC)

Quote: "UVSC graduates, in particular, seem to have found higher paying
jobs."

Quote: "UVSC graduates overwhelmingly lead the way in terms of employment
with 83.9% of its graduates in the workforce and 78.4% employed full-time.
The next highest was USU with 74.7% percent in the labor force. USU and UVSC
bachelor's graduates were employed at a significantly higher rate than the
other schools, while BYU bachelor's graduates were employed full-time at the
lowest rate [57%]".

Now, you may accuse me of massaging or misrepresenting the numbers. In that
event, I will disavow all knowledge of said report as you are clearly
throwing flamebait ;)

More importantly, there is one quote from the report that should alarm us
all (well at least those of us in Utah. Sorry Grant.)

"Utah's starting salaries do not compare favorably with the national
averages. The lower salaries of Utah-based graduates can probably be
attributed directly to the lower salary levels that exist for all workers in
Utah. As evidence of this, the Utah Foundation survey found that there is a
wide disparity in salaries between graduates who find employment in Utah and
those who choose to work elsewhere. According to 2004 Bureau of Labor
Statistics data, Utah ranked 36th nationally in average annual pay."

http://utahfoundation.org/img/pdfs/rr673.pdf

Jeremy