looking for laptop

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Feb 15 12:09:06 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 12:02 -0700, Justin Findlay wrote:
> On AD 2007 February 15 Thursday 11:18:19 AM -0700, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
> > I recently found and purchased a MacBook from Apple for $850.  I got it
> > for my wife.  Your requirements are all relative.  Care to quantify
> > further?
>
> I'd prefer not to pay the Microsoft or the OSX tax levied on all new
                                            ^^^^^^^^^
If you see OS X as a tax on Apple computers, then you definitely should
not even consider Apple machines.  In my opinion, I recommend people buy
Apple computers for the platform, hardware and software.  I am perfectly
content to pay for a good product (I'm speaking about OS X here).  I
don't see it as a tax at all.  I think buying an apple computer for it's
ability to dual or triple boot OS's is legitimate, but if you're going
to only run linux or windows on it, you might be best served by some
other brand.  In other words don't buy apple just because it is good
hardware.