I want to learn a new language...

Jason Hall jayce at lug-nut.com
Thu Feb 15 11:08:18 MST 2007

On Thursday 15 February 2007 10:55, Bryan Sant wrote:
> > >From the "Guts of Perl debugging" man page:
> >
> > "Perl is a profligate wastrel when it comes to memory use. There is a
> > saying that to estimate memory usage of Perl, assume a reasonable
> > algorithm for memory allocation, multiply that estimate by 10, and
> > while you still may miss the mark, at least you won't be quite so
> > astonished."
>
> Coming from the Java world, I doubt I'll be astonished at Perl's
> memory usage :-).

Very true, it will look light in that relationship.  Perl isn't too bad
overall with memory, but from the internal perspective, it's just very
permissive.  It keeps the used memory around for as long as it can, and when
building a veyr large app, it's something you look at, but much less that
with C or its kind.

As for threads, I do agree, as with pretty much the whole perl community that
iThreads are not our friend.  That's why there is such a better rewrite in
place for perl6.  As for the thread memory usage, there are a few things you
can do to take care of a majority of the problems you will encounter (prevent
them from being issues).  But they are not what we want, and are being
changed.

--
Jayce^