I want to learn a new language...

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 10:25:30 MST 2007

On 2/15/07, blr at robertsr.us <blr at robertsr.us> wrote:
> If threads are important to you, Python, even with its limitations, is
> still way ahead of Ruby or Perl.  At least according to the docs.

I'd just like to add there that I'm disappointed with the way threads
work in perl (interpreter threads).  We've been fighting the fact that
perl uses ridiculous amounts of memory and a big part of that has to
do with how it does threads.

>From the "Guts of Perl debugging" man page:
"Perl is a profligate wastrel when it comes to memory use. There is a
saying that to estimate memory usage of Perl, assume a reasonable
algorithm for memory allocation, multiply that estimate by 10, and
while you still may miss the mark, at least you won't be quite so
astonished."