looking for laptop

Richard Scott McNew richard.scott.mcnew at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 23:20:37 MST 2007

On 2/14/07, Justin Findlay <justin at jfindlay.us> wrote:
> I've decided to relinquish for now the pursuit of the ideal handheld
> device and get a laptop.  Here are my requirements for such laptop:
> 0. small
> 1. small
> 2. cheap
> 3. diminutive
> 4. durable
> 5. can run linux
> As you can see I want something smaller than the usual laptop deal.
> Does anybody either have or know where to get a machine meeting these
> requirements either new or used?

Here is your ideal (and mine): OLPC - http://www.laptop.org/
I would really like to get my hands on one of these if they ever hit
the commercial market on a "buy one, give one (or two) to a kid in a
developing nation" basis.

Right now I am running Ubuntu on a three year old Sony Vaio PCG-TR2A.
It's been a fine little computer.  The keyboard is large enough to
comfortably type on and it's even got a DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive.  It has a
10.2 inch display, 1 GHz Pentium-M (Centrino) processor, 40 GB HDD,
and 1 GB ram.  It also has 802.11b wifi.  If you are looking used, I
recommend this model or it's siblings (Vaio PCG-TR3A or similar).  For
the record, it also runs Fedora, SuSE, Arch, and Gentoo without any
problems.  All of the hardware works great except the crudy built-in
webcam (never has worked with any linux distro and only has VGA

Really the problem with your desired traits for a laptop is the trade
off between cost and size.  I love my little laptop, but it cost
upwards of $2000 when I bought it new.  Sony and Sharp are the leaders
in tiny laptops.  Unfortunately, the small, really cool ones are
pretty expensive.

Here is a link to current sony ultra-portables.

This is an older little one that I used to dream about.  Not big
enough for comfortable typing, but unbeatable when it comes to size.
It looks like they're only available as used though.