[OT] Worst Language Ever!

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Wed Feb 14 17:14:22 MST 2007

> Anyone got a worst language ever!

Well, I managed to steer clear of most really bad languages, but
here's a couple of the worst I've used.

Applesoft BASIC:  Not so much bad as extremely primitive.  Numbering
your lines is a pain, lack of variable scope is a pain, and although
you could call subroutines and return from them, there was no
parameter/return value passing.  On the other hand, it was there in
the ROM, and there were program listings in books and magazines, so it
was infinitely better to me than any of the many languages that I
didn't have access to.

PennMUSH MUSHCode, circa 1993 or so:  MUSHCode was always a really
nasty language, but this particular version had the added benefit of
not even working properly.  It seemed to have been designed by someone
who didn't know lisp very well; most things were done by evaluating
ugly nested expressions, but there were a few statements as well.  You
had to enter your entire program on a single line, and when it was
stored all the whitespace would be compressed from it, leaving a
jumbled mass of square brackets, parentheses, commas, and occasional
other punctuation and keywords.  Most of the language details have
fortunately long since been purged from my mind.

Actually, if you want to take a look at some examples, here's where
you can find some: http://ftp.pennmush.org/MUSHcode/

Be warned; it's pretty ugly!

               --Levi