I want to learn a new language...

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Wed Feb 14 16:23:21 MST 2007

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 at 16:04 -0700, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> I've got a hunch that ruby is trendy and will go away due to lack of
> interest soon.  I could be completely wrong about that.  It just
> hasn't got a firm enough hold to really thrive.

I think you're probably wrong. If you substitute rails for ruby you're
probably right (although I do think rails is a decent web framework).

Ruby has been growing steadily for a number of years. It's been big in
Japan for a long time. The hype surrounding rails was somewhat
unexpected, although it didn't come as much of a surprise to us that
something hit the hype threshhold. It has given the community an influx
and moved us a long a bit faster than we were going, but if the hype
died down tomorrow and no new rails programmers joined the ranks, Ruby
would continue to grow steadily. That's my take anyway.

> Maybe ruby is like
> IPv6, it's the next big thing but we're spending too much keeping the
> older stuff working (and making it work better) to give it a decent
> chance.

No, that's LISP!

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net