Software Engineering (was Re: Java)

Michael Brailsford brailsmt at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 16:21:33 MST 2007

> I agree with all of your points.  You're preaching to the choir.  I'm
> not suggesting that long names are a replacement for proper
> documentation.  But descriptive names do help.  My point was that
> Java's verbosity doesn't reduce readability it enhances it.  I'm a
> professional, I document all of my code.

How funny, you equate professional with documenting code.  I about fell out of my chair laughing so hard...

Most professionals in my experience think that the "code is documentation".  Its a big macho thing.  I guess I am too stupid, and I always ask what exactly they were thinking when they did XYZ.  I usually get looks like "Ouch, buddy, asking that is a sure Career Limiting Move.  You might want to reconsider!"  Of course we all know that the reason they ask that is because they themselves don't have a freaking clue.  At all the places I have worked, I have yearned to work in the wonderful world of high quality open source software.  The code is many times more readable, and stable.

Who knows, maybe I just have had a bad experience, landing at the companies I have worked for.  No, I'm pretty sure my experience is normal, I am experiencing first hand just exactly what "The Cathedral and Bazaar" is all about.

-Michael