I want to learn a new language...

Jesse Stay jesse at thestays.org
Wed Feb 14 16:20:26 MST 2007

On 2/14/07, Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Contrary to popular belief, I'm not a complete and total Java bigot...
>  Okay, I lied, I am.  Java is the shiz-nigget.  However, I'm honestly
> wanting to invest in a new language for fun and profit.

Honestly, even though my license plate says "USE PERL", I think you're
taking the right path.  The more languages you learn, the more you can
apply and contribute to the language you prefer.  C gives fundamental
memory and process management skills.  Lisp gives great functional
skills.  Ruby and Java give great OOP skills.  They also contribute
great MVC knowledge and ideas.  PHP is a great web language that keeps
writing for the web simple.  Perl, whether you like it or not, has
TIMTOWTDI and has contributed quite a bit of knowledge to the regex
libraries in various languages.  I think there are things that are
encouraged in each, that can be applied in many ways to your preferred
language.  Do they each have their flaws?  Yes, but the strengths from
other languages I believe can be brought into any language out there.
It doesn't matter the language you program in - what matters is what
you do with the language you prefer.

Jesse

--

#!/usr/bin/perl