I want to learn a new language...

Mark Higbee mark at impactprocessing.com
Wed Feb 14 16:03:04 MST 2007

If you want to learn a fun language that doesn't require an IDE and
minimal typing Perl is the language for you.

I would caution that if you do too much Perl programming you may become
less excited about Java at least that is what happened to me.
I found my self saying all the time Wow I wish you could to that in
Java.  Not that I was ever into Java as much as you are but Java was my
first programming language.

I do agree that many Perl programmers write code that can be hard to
figure out and maintain, however it is possible to write code that is
easy to maintain and follows good coding styles and standards just like
any other language.