I want to learn a new language...

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 15:26:40 MST 2007

On 2/14/07, Andrew Jorgensen <andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this is the wrong approach.  You can't have a deep
> comprehensive knowledge of a language without programming something
> significant in it.  Pick a project that you think you can stick with
> long enough and then, I'm sorry to say it but it's true, try to find
> the language best suited to that project.

Sound advice, sound advice.  I intend to do just this.  I'm just
hoping for a little guidance from the list.  I was hoping that folks
could express why they think language X is so cool.  I'll end up
picking one and I'll use that language to do something meaningful and
get some hands-on experience.

> Let me say this one more time:
> Pick a project first, then pick a language.

It seems to me that Ruby/Perl/Python all fill the same niche.  In my
opinion, learning one of them gives you most of the benefit of any of
them.  I'd just like to know which one would best jive with me.  Any
project I pick would be equally applicable to every language I listed.

-Bryan