I want to learn a new language...

Jesse Stay jesse at thestays.org
Wed Feb 14 14:57:54 MST 2007

On 2/14/07, Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perl.  I like the fact that Perl is everywhere.  You can't swing a
> dead cat by the tail without hitting into a Perl interpreter.  I like
> that Perl is mature.  One word, CPAN.  All of this is great, but I
> DON'T like the whole, "there's more than one way to do it" deal.  More
> than one way?  That's a I nice way of saying that every Perl program
> is as unique as a snow flake.  I'd like to use a language that others
> (and even ME after 6 months) can read.  My own experience backs up the
> claims that Perl is a "write only" language.  This may be overly
> dramatic, and Perl may be more readable than I think if I spent some
> more time with it.  Help me learn to love Perl.

One good book that will help you love perl:

Perl Best Practices by Damian Conway

Also:

Higher Order Perl, by Mark Jason Dominus

The first is one every Perl programmer should read.  There are Perl
programmers, and then there are Perl programmers that have read Perl
Best Practices - you will see a firm standard in writing code by those
that have read it.  Their code will be much easier to read.

The second has some excellent examples of why OO is not always the
best way to do things.  It goes over recursion, writing programs that
can be "programmed", and other great methods of using Perl to write
great programs.

Jesse

--

#!/usr/bin/perl