I want to learn a new language...

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 14:53:31 MST 2007

On 2/14/07, Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com> wrote:
> PS > Don't say, "You should use each one for what it's best at."
> Screw that.  I'm not interested in learning to create "Hello World" in
> 20 languages.  I want to pick a language and acquire a deep
> comprehensive knowledge of it.  I'd rather be awesome at two or three
> languages than so-so with 15.  I want to pick ONE -- please make sure
> it's the best.

I think this is the wrong approach.  You can't have a deep
comprehensive knowledge of a language without programming something
significant in it.  Pick a project that you think you can stick with
long enough and then, I'm sorry to say it but it's true, try to find
the language best suited to that project.

It would rock if you could actually pick one language that was truly
better than the rest but it's just not so.  The reason there are so
many languages out there thriving (rather than many out there and one
winning) is that some things are best done with one rather than
another.  You can't write a kernel in Java and you really shouldn't
write a startup script in C.

Let me say this one more time:
Pick a project first, then pick a language.