I want to learn a new language...

Jason Hall jayce at lug-nut.com
Wed Feb 14 14:53:40 MST 2007

On Wednesday 14 February 2007 14:30, Bryan Sant wrote:
> I'd like to learn one of the following well:  Python, Ruby, or Perl.

Main Considerations:
1) Who will you work with in learning?  Obviously if more of your friends know
Perl, it's helpful to learn that, so they can guide you.
2) How much do you want to change?  Are you looking for a language that is
closer to Java? or a bigger change? ( Python shares the same love of S&M as
Java, so that would be easier, Perl is completely opposite, and Ruby tries to
have some of both)
3) Buzzwordy.  We all know you love your buzzwords and hype :)  So Ruby has a
lot in that direction for you.  It is popular because it's newer, and has
many key features that Perl and Python are fixing.
4)Work use,  will your daily job benefit more from a specific language (eg.
enhanced Perl knowledge will automate your life, Free your Mind, etc.  Or
would jython have direct usability?)

--
Jayce^