Java

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 13:04:35 MST 2007

On 2/13/07, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
> Do you also agree, then, that readability is more important than
> shortcuts for writing code?  Eclipse shortcuts help with writing code
> but do not make up for Java's verbosity.
>
> Shane

Readability is hugely important.  This is why are am a huge fan of the
Java culture, and their tendency to use
veryDescriptiveNamesForVariablesAndMethods.  Long, descriptive names
are a good thing.  Self documenting code is a goal we should all
strive for.  Java's verbosity is a tremendous benefit.

Though java has long-ish key words, Java is verbose mostly because of
the long class and method names used in the standard libraries and by
most developers, however, there is nothing stopping you from using
Java in a terse way.

So, yes, readability is very important.  Java's verbosity improves
ones ability to read Java, and IDE's make the verbosity a non-issue
when writing java.

-Bryan