Java

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Tue Feb 13 19:22:37 MST 2007

On Feb 13, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Bryan Sant wrote:

> On 2/13/07, Daniel C. <dcrookston at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You're right.  I don't know of a single Java IDE that has an REPL
>> built into it.
>
> Other than all of them.  Both the "Display" and "Expressions" view in
> Eclipse do what you want.  You must be running in debug mode for it to
> work (because a JVM must be running to do the live evals).

Now you've piqued my curiosity.

So, I can cut and paste the following in Eclipse in one or both of
these views:

-- BEGIN PASTE SECTION

public class NewClassWithNoAssociatedSourceFile {

	public String member1;
	public NewClassWithNoAssociatedSourceFile() {
		member1 = "hello";
	}
}

NewClassWithNoAssociatedSourceFile myclass = new
NewClassWithNoAssociatedSourceFile();
System.out.println(myclass.member1);

-- END PASTE SECTION

Now, what if I want to do that on the fly in one of my classes?  Or,
what if I want to add a new member function to a class by calling a
method in another class?  What if I want to create a new class based
on user input at runtime?  Or add methods to an existing class based
on user input, also at runtime?  Can I do those things in Java?  If
so, is it built into the language or do you need to install something
extra?

Grant