Java

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Feb 13 16:54:22 MST 2007

On 2/13/07, Michael Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 16:19 -0700, Levi Pearson wrote:
> > I'm not sure what you mean when you say that Smalltalk doesn't have a
> > concept of a class and a class instance.
>
> Right.  That was my point.  In Java a class is a somewhat abstract thing
> that doesn't quite exist as a first-class object.

I see, what you said makes sense to me now.

> (Is this sort of what aspect-oriented programming is all about?)

I think you could use that capability to implement aspect-oriented
programming features, but I wouldn't say that's what it's all about.
The point of AOP is to separate cross-cutting concerns into their own
'modules', and then to specify where they join into the main body of
code.

AOP was invented by Gregor Kiczales essentially to bring some of the
features of the CLOS meta-object protocol (which he contributed to the
design of) to languages like Java.  There's some theory involved that
I haven't bothered to grok, but if I need those kinds of features I'll
just use Common LIsp. :)

               --Levi