Apache: Forcing SSL and Authentication

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Tue Feb 13 16:26:07 MST 2007

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 16:13, Topher Fischer wrote:
> As far as I know, vhosts work with different host names, so I couldn't
> use a vhost configuration with this setup.  Is that correct?

vhost can be name based or ip based.
Regardless, you can also include :port as a qualifier and distinguish
between :80 and :443 and have different <VirtualHost> blocks for each.

# You can do it with wildcards

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
  # and probably:
  <Directory <path>
    RedirectPermanent <path> http://machine/<path>
  </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>
</VirtualHost>

It can still be named based if by specifying a ServerName directive inside
each VirtualHost.  The first wildcard VirtualHost becomes the default server
settings used if no VirtualHost's ServerName is matched by the incoming
request's Host header.