Java

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Feb 13 13:58:05 MST 2007

On 2/13/07, Daniel C. <dcrookston at gmail.com> wrote:
> Someone (Levi, I'm looking at you) correct me if I'm wrong, but I was
> under the impression that it's not possible to have a true REPL
> without also having Lisp.  And since Java isn't Lisp...
>
> The list you provided before is impressive though, and not just
> because of it's length.  The one that's most impressive to me ('cause
> I don't know what some of the others mean) is that you can always see
> code formatted the right way for you.
>
> Keep talking, you might convince me to try Java.

Well, it is true in one sense that you can't have a true REPL without
functions named 'read', 'eval', and 'print' and a loop that ties them
together.  But you can certainly have an interactive language
evaluator in pretty much any language, if you care to implement it.
>From what I understand, there are even implementations of C that run
interpreted in a virtual machine and have an interactive evaluator.

                --Levi