Java

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 13:56:36 MST 2007

> Java is indeed a rather nice language for a lot of uses, and if I had
> to use it for something, I wouldn't complain too loudly.  And I find
> Eclipse to be a pretty nice environment for writing Java code.  But to
> suggest that Java is somehow the pinnacle of software engineering
> technology strikes me as absurd.

I'm not trying to argue that Java is the best.  My argument is more
like, "Java is as good as any other when using an IDE, and it'll
likely run faster."  If you're looking for Lisp, you'll obviously not
find it in Java.  But, you're assuming that people want Lisp.  Most
don't.  People want an easy to use and understand language with an
intuitive IDE to code and debug with.  They want a runtime that is
fast.  They want a comprehensive library.  They want popular, well
understood frameworks.

They get all of these things with Java.  Is Java perfect, or even the
"pinnacle of software engineering tech"?  No, but it meets all of the
needs of most professional developers and then some.  Can Java be
improved?  Yes, it currently is, and will continue to be in the future
(GPL).

Don't like Java syntax or paradigm?  Great, use Groovy, or JRuby, or
JavaScript, or BeanShell.  They'll likely outperform your C-based
runtime and you get to leverage most of the advantages I listed above.

-Bryan