Java

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Tue Feb 13 13:51:27 MST 2007

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 13:45, Daniel C. wrote:
> Someone (Levi, I'm looking at you) correct me if I'm wrong, but I was
> under the impression that it's not possible to have a true REPL
> without also having Lisp.  And since Java isn't Lisp...

You could, in theory, implement an REPL in any language.  But, for some
languages, by their design, doing so would be anywhere from not useful to
nonsensible.

A unix shell is an REPL. Many scripting languages offer an REPL. (PHP does,
for one).

Having an REPL attached to a running application as part of your editing
environment (as opposed to merely a debug process) goes a step beyond, IMO.