Java

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 13:42:19 MST 2007

On 2/13/07, Daniel C. <dcrookston at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/13/07, Nicholas Leippe <nick at leippe.com> wrote:
> > - on-the-fly recompile (Lisp anyone? :)
>
> Amen.  There are some things you can do with a good Lisp IDE (SLIME
> ftw) that you can't with a good Java IDE because of the differences in
> the languages.

What are you talking about?  This is exactly what all Java IDE's do.
Eclipse compiles as you type.  Hence "on-the-fly" recompile.

> I was thinking, though, that if you attached a JVM to an IDE, you
> might could write a class, and then get an immediate top level-type
> interface where you could interact with the class by instantiating
> objects, running methods on it, etc.  That'd be almost as cool as what
> SLIME gives you - but only if you neglect to subtract all the cool
> points you automatically lose when dirtying your fingers with such  a
> common language as Java.

Holly ignorance Batman.  These features have existed in Eclipse since
day one.  It's called the Debugger. You can interact with any object
you like.  Modify variables, call methods, etc.

No wonder you have a low opinion of Java.  You haven't clue what can
be done with it.

-Bryan