Bryan Sant bryan.sant at
Tue Feb 13 11:37:57 MST 2007

On 2/13/07, Levi Pearson <levi at> wrote:
>  Advanced IDEs these days are only an incremental improvement over IDE
> technology that existed for years in the advanced Smalltalk and Lisp
> environments of 15-20 years ago.  Granted, those environments were

Woooooo.  The IDE features that exist today in Eclipse and IntelliJ
are far more advanced than the IDE's of yesteryear.  If you're
thinking, "Hey, I've used Microsoft Visual Studio.  I know what IDE's
have to offer."  You are dead wrong.  Likewise if you've used Borland
Turbo C++ or the like.  There is no comparison between prior IDEs and
the modern Java IDEs.

I suppose you could say that IDE improvements have been only
incremental, and I'd say that language features in modern languages
have been only incremental.