Java

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Feb 13 11:03:34 MST 2007

On 2/13/07, Mark Higbee <mark at impactprocessing.com> wrote:
> True I guess that is why they invented IDE's.
>
> Have the IDE's gotten any better? Hopefully they are not all written in
> Java since the one I tried a while back was written in Java and was so
> painfully slow even on a decent system.   I think it was the free
> community version you could download from sun I can't remember what it
> was called anymore I gave up on it.

Java-based IDEs are faster now, thanks to faster hardware and Java
speed improvements.

> Why not make the language so you don't have to use an Advanced
> auto-completion feature to keep you sane?  Good thing there are a few
> languages out there like that.

Why not combine advanced language features with advanced IDE features?
 Advanced IDEs these days are only an incremental improvement over IDE
technology that existed for years in the advanced Smalltalk and Lisp
environments of 15-20 years ago.  Granted, those environments were
extremely expensive and not nearly as widely deployed as Java is
today, but just because the Free Software and Open Source movements
have put the ancient and comparatively primitive Unix tools in the
spotlight doesn't mean they're actually the best tools possible.  Now,
with open source Java and Smalltalk systems, they're not even the only
cheap ones!

                --Levi