help: dbus - unmounting from the command line

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Feb 12 22:05:25 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 21:28 -0700, Michael Torrie wrote:
> Since umount retorts that I have to be root to unmount a device these
> days, I thought I'd try using dbus to unmount a USB device from the
> command line.  Here is the approximate command I found:

This is the second time today that I've found my answer only moments
after posting.  After sniffing the dbus a bit with a python script[1] I
discovered I was sending my message to the wrong object.  I wasn't
sending my message to the volume, I was sending it to the device itself,
which was wrong.

I wrote a couple of python scripts to mount and unmount any hal-mounted
device.  If anyone's interested I'll post them on the list.

Michael

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=282620