Java

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Mon Feb 12 14:15:17 MST 2007

Not something I ever thought I'd see Stuart say, but a parallel with a
recent experience of my own struck me, so please pardon the tangent.
It is meant with my tongue pressed a bit further into my cheek than I
suspect Stuart's is.

On 2/12/07, Stuart Jansen <sjansen at buscaluz.org> wrote:
> IAAJH (I am a Java hater.)

IAAPH (I am a Perl hater.)

> 3) Java is a very rich ecosystem. I avoided using it as long as I could,
> but eventually a project crossed my desk that depended on functionality
> best available using a 3rd party Java library. Solving interesting
> problems makes programming fun, and because of its rich ecosystem, some
> problems are best solved using Java tools. (As far as I'm concerned, Web
> development is not a strength of Java and never was.)

Perl is a very rich ecosystem.  I avoided using it as long as I could,
but eventually a project crossed my desk that depended on
functionality best available using a 3rd party Perl library.  Solving
interesting problems makes programming fun, and because of its rich
ecosystem, some problems are best solved using Perl tools.  (As far as
I'm concerned, supporting programs beyond hacked-together scripts and
prototypes is not a strength of Perl and never was.)

> Java fan boys: don't take heart. Your baby's still ugly as all get out,
> and we think you're either (a) tasteless or (b) stupid for defending it
> so stridently. Perhaps because you're too (a) afraid or (b) lazy to
> learn something else? Frankly, we Java haters are unimpressed by "Dudez,
> its th3 popular!" or "D00d3rz, Java programer$ make bank!"

Perl fan boys: don't take heart.  Your baby's still ugly as all get out. ;)

                --Levi