MY JOB WENT TO INDIA

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Mon Feb 12 14:02:24 MST 2007

On 2/12/07, Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good point.  If all one cared about was money, there are higher paying
> careers.  However, within the confines of being a geek and wanting to
> program for a living, I'd like to the make the most money I can in my
> chosen occupation.
>
> So my major requirement for happiness with my job is that I be in this
> industry.  Others may have stricter requirements for satisfaction with
> their job.  Money may be less important compared to using their
> preferred language/platform.
>
> For me, I really enjoy programming in Java, but I would be happy
> programming in anything.  I'm easy like that.

My intent was to point out pretty much what you've said here, which is
that every single programmer has motivations that rank higher than
making the most money possible.  Those are, of course, going to vary
from person to person.  So, I don't think there's really any truly
rational argument for choosing to develop skills in whatever happens
to be the currently most popular platform.  There will certainly be
good reasons to do so, and you've highlighted them well, but when it
comes down to it, we all have higher motivations than maximizing our
income, and many of us will come up with perfectly reasonable
alternative skill sets that meet our personal motivations.

                --Levi