MY JOB WENT TO INDIA

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Mon Feb 12 13:32:05 MST 2007

On 2/12/07, Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe that any capable programmer can pick up another programming
> language with minimal effort.  The job market moves slowly.  It takes
> a long time for one language to die and another to rise to prominence.
>  There will be plenty of time for one to transition from Java to
> language X as one sees more jobs in language X than Java.  You make it
> seem as though one would get blindsided by a new language out of now
> where, and overnight, become irrelevant.  Not true.  It will be
> obvious and easy to move over.  Only the cowards who are unwilling to
> learn something new when it is financially obvious to do so will
> continue to use an unpopular language (such as the COBOL programmers
> of old, or the Java programmers of the distant future).

Your position seems fairly well reasoned, but it assumes a couple of
odd and seemingly contradictory motivations:  1. One must choose which
skills to develop based on maximizing profit potential, and 2. One
must only choose programming skills.

Certainly, if you are only interested in making money, there are far
better jobs to have than the job of a programmer.  If you do in fact
have other motivations besides making the most money possible, then it
seems perfectly reasonable to choose to focus your skill development
on something besides Java.  Even if Java is the most profitable
computer language to know, that profit potential can never be the
primary motivator, or you would be forced into another job market
entirely!

                --Levi