MY JOB WENT TO INDIA

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 13:02:35 MST 2007

On 2/12/07, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> > Using that logic, we should stop speaking English, and learn a new
> > language too.  I mean, those Indians are getting to be fluent in
> > English.  I say we differentiate ourselves by speaking Tagalog.
>
> No I don't believe so.  This seems like a logical fallacy to me.
>
> Using a programming language as a tool to construct or create something
> is very different from simply using a language as a protocol for
> communication.

I'd say they're quite similar.

> Absolutely a programmer should know more than just Java.  When Java's
> days are done do we want to be the cobol programmers of the future or

When Java's days are done, then I'll learn the language that is
clearly killing Java.  I'll invest in that language like you've never
seen before.  If certifications exist, I will obtain them.  If popular
frameworks and sophisticated libraries exist I will master them.  I
will be so involved in that languages' community it will make you
sick.  In the mean time, I'm very focused on the skills that will make
me the most money now.  Call me crazy.

As Garth from Wayne's World said, "Live in the now man!"

> capable of riding any of the technology waves that hit us?  The same can
> be said of C++, C#, or any popular and lucrative language.

I believe that any capable programmer can pick up another programming
language with minimal effort.  The job market moves slowly.  It takes
a long time for one language to die and another to rise to prominence.
 There will be plenty of time for one to transition from Java to
language X as one sees more jobs in language X than Java.  You make it
seem as though one would get blindsided by a new language out of now
where, and overnight, become irrelevant.  Not true.  It will be
obvious and easy to move over.  Only the cowards who are unwilling to
learn something new when it is financially obvious to do so will
continue to use an unpopular language (such as the COBOL programmers
of old, or the Java programmers of the distant future).

> And I also think that in the international, globalized world we live in,
> the more human languages we speak, the more marketable we'll be too.

True, to an extent, but it isn't worth it.  I pity the person who
invests the time to learn Chinese expecting to make more money.

-Bryan