MY JOB WENT TO INDIA

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 12:44:00 MST 2007

On 2/12/07, Jonathan Ellis <jonathan at carnageblender.com> wrote:
> > Me being a Java fan boi aside, this logic is flawed.  You may choose
> > to use a non-Java technology for many valid reasons.  Maybe you've
> > found something technically superior.  Maybe you just want to program
> > in a language that's more "fun".  There are many valid reasons to not
> > use Java, however, economic opportunity ain't one of them.
>
> Even for a position in language X though, I'd rather hire/work with
> someone who's demonstrated the initiative to broaden his horizons by
> learning something else as well.  No matter what X is.

I'd rather hire/work with someone you described as well.  If I were
doing the hiring, I would like to see someone who truly has a passion
for technology and shows obvious initiative and interest in many
programming languages and other geeky things.  However, I stand by my
point that there isn't any real monetary incentive to learn anything
other than a very popular language (such as Java) right now.

I can't tell you how many times I've been called by a recruiter or
hiring manager for a Java position and they start asking about my C++,
Perl, Visual Basic, assembler, and Quancept experience...  Oh wait,
that never happens.  When someone wants to fill a language X position,
they're pretty much just interested with your skill in language X.

-Bryan