[OT] - Are computers in education better now than 20 years ago?

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 10:51:28 MST 2007

On 2/9/07, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> I just haven't seen young people really "catch the vision" like it seems
> that me and most of my geeky friends did back in elementary school.

Didn't read the article, but...

It seems like there's too much in the way these days.  You can't just
fire up your BASIC editor (or whatever it was - I had hypercard and
logowriter) and hack together a neat little program like you used to
be able to.  And even if you did, so what?  Who are you going to show
it to?  Half the fun for me was showing what I'd done to my friends.
Nowadays to make something worth showing your friends, the learning
curve is absurd.  Maybe Squeak and/or a WYSIWYG web app could do this,
I don't know.

My sister asked me to teach her to make web pages, but I'm not sure I
can make it simple enough that she'll be able to get into it without a
lot of overhead.  I mean, if she's got to learn vi so she can edit
files on my server, or if she's going to have to mess around with an
ftp client, that might be enough of a pain to kill the desire to
fiddle around with cool stuff to show off to her friends.

Dan