MY JOB WENT TO INDIA

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Feb 12 09:19:24 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 13:51 -0700, Bryan Sant wrote:
> On 2/8/07, Grant Shipley <gshipley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > book is don't tie yourself to the most popular technology because that
> > is what always gets outsourced.  In other words, don't be a programmer
> > who only knows Java.
>
> Using that logic, we should stop speaking English, and learn a new
> language too.  I mean, those Indians are getting to be fluent in
> English.  I say we differentiate ourselves by speaking Tagalog.

No I don't believe so.  This seems like a logical fallacy to me.

Using a programming language as a tool to construct or create something
is very different from simply using a language as a protocol for
communication.

Absolutely a programmer should know more than just Java.  When Java's
days are done do we want to be the cobol programmers of the future or
capable of riding any of the technology waves that hit us?  The same can
be said of C++, C#, or any popular and lucrative language.

And I also think that in the international, globalized world we live in,
the more human languages we speak, the more marketable we'll be too.
Chinese might be a good language to learn.  They seem poised to be the
next major economic power (I have my doubts, but we'll see).  And to
start an off-topic flame war, having just returned from a visit to the
middle east, I can say with some certainty that the Iraq war marks the
end of America as a super power.

Michael