MY JOB WENT TO INDIA

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 13:51:25 MST 2007

On 2/8/07, Grant Shipley <gshipley at gmail.com> wrote:
> book is don't tie yourself to the most popular technology because that
> is what always gets outsourced.  In other words, don't be a programmer
> who only knows Java.

Using that logic, we should stop speaking English, and learn a new
language too.  I mean, those Indians are getting to be fluent in
English.  I say we differentiate ourselves by speaking Tagalog.

Me being a Java fan boi aside, this logic is flawed.  You may choose
to use a non-Java technology for many valid reasons.  Maybe you've
found something technically superior.  Maybe you just want to program
in a language that's more "fun".  There are many valid reasons to not
use Java, however, economic opportunity ain't one of them.

The demand for Java developers in the US of A is between 3 to 300
times higher than the language you're thinking about defecting to.
Some day Java will be retired to the status of COBOL (is that so
bad?), but for now it is hot, and the demand in the US (and elsewhere)
is only *growing*.

So, saying that someone needs to learn something other than or in
addition to Java for economic reasons is patently false.  I whole
heartily agree that you should learn other languages and expand your
skills and understanding, but there isn't any money in it at the
moment.

I would recommend to people that they definitely learn and use Java
now, and in 5 - 10 years, they *might* need to start looking at
something else (that's a big maybe).  I agree with the premise of the
book that the most popular technologies are more likely to get
outsourced, but that has no correlation with lost jobs or a need to
learn something else.  For every Java job outsourced there are two
that get created in the states.

-Bryan