[OT] Handling multiple UDP clients through NAT

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 16:55:57 MST 2007

> By that design, I can get away with sending a small ping packet once
> every minute
> or two, and then batch the world changes out in sporadic large datagrams.

Ah, well then it all depends who's sending the "ping".  If the client
is sending the ping to the server then you can have the server respond
to that ping with the data, using the same socket.

If the server is sending the ping then you won't be able to get past
NAT unless the client is responding to the pings regularly on the same
socket, and the client would have had to initialize that socket.  It
would also have to be way more often than every minute or two for most
routers.