[OT] Handling multiple UDP clients through NAT

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 13:42:59 MST 2007

> The concept is pretty simple really.  I'm looking at UDP not as a
> telephone line (like TCP), but more like FedEx, we can send and
> recieve packages of updates, but we do so sparingly.

I'd say it's more like FedEx, but wild Indians can shoot your FedEx
driver at anytime and you'd never know.  Sometimes the packages get
delivered, sometimes they don't.  And if you get too many FedEx trucks
coming at the same time, you can't tell them to back off, you just
have to throw the packages away and pretend they were never sent ;-).

Anyway, I'll be quite now.  You know your apps behavior and I don't.
I think your using UDP will be fine in practice (but it's potentially
scary).

Personally I would never use UDP unless I can prove that TCP overhead
is a bottleneck (very, very, very, unlikely) or my app needs a
real-time protocol (as in LAN games).

-Bryan