[OT] Handling multiple UDP clients through NAT

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 14:24:04 MST 2007

> What about TCP limitations such as maximum connection counts etc.
> How would I go about handling that or getting around it?

You can't.  You can only handle 2^16 - n TCP connections at the same
time.  If you're planning on having more than ~60000 concurrent
connections on a single IP, then TCP on a single IP will not work.
The way around this is using more than one IP address.

UDP avoids the issue because connections only last as long as the
datagram transmission.  Hooray.  But consider that Blizzard doesn't
have 60,000 users connected on all of there various game servers
combined.  So this design goal seems a little over ambitious (but hey,
it's your game server ;-).

My final prod would be, what happens when my MUD client occasionally
drops packets?

-Bryan