Why are external HDD enclosures advertised as 3.5"

Brian Hawkins brianhks at activeclickweb.com
Tue Feb 6 10:59:25 MST 2007

No, I'm referring to the distance between the bottom screws on the left
side to the bottom screws on the right side.
|                     FRONT                              |

That width is probably close to 3.5" (as I do not have a drive available
to look at).
If the width of the drive is 4" and each screw is inset .25" from the
side that would make them 3.5" apart.

Brian