Why are external HDD enclosures advertised as 3.5"

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Tue Feb 6 10:45:32 MST 2007

Brian Hawkins wrote:
> I mean the distance between the screws on the bottom of the drive.  The
> width between the screws is probably pretty close to 3.5"
>
> Brian

Oh, you mean the bottom screws you would use to mount in the enclosure?
 They are exactly the same distance apart (about 1.5") as the front two
side screws, but offset about .5" back from the front side screws.

There are two screws (of the 4) that mount the circuit board to the hard
drive casing that are roughly 3.5" apart.