Why are external HDD enclosures advertised as 3.5"

Joseph Hall joseph at thatworks.com
Tue Feb 6 10:09:10 MST 2007

Oh, great. Next thing you know, there's going to be another class
action lawsuit just like there was with the monitors. All the geeks
already knew that a 17-inch monitor didn't refer to the viewable area,
but somebody had to go and raise a stink. Next think you know, hard
drives will be sold as "3.5-inch actual platter size" or something.

* Joseph despairs

On 2/6/07, Andrew Jorgensen <andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/6/07, Kenneth Burgener <kenneth at mail1.ttak.org> wrote:
> > I was looking for a simple external HDD enclosure and I couldn't
> > remember, off the top of my head, if my standard desktop hard drive was
> > the 2.5" or 3.5" size.  So I pulled out the ruler, and measured the
> > drive.  It is roughly 5.5" x 4" x 1".  It would seem to me that the 3.5"
> > size is what I am looking for, but the drive is not 3.5" wide.  Why?
>
> 3.5" is the size of the floppy disk that goes in a "3.5"" (use of
> quotes intentional) floppy drive, which is roughly the same width as
> your HDD.  Likewise 5.25" refers to the floppy disks that went in
> drives with that nominal size.

Joseph
http://blog.josephhall.com/