Why are external HDD enclosures advertised as 3.5"

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Tue Feb 6 10:00:28 MST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 09:54 -0700, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> I was looking for a simple external HDD enclosure and I couldn't
> remember, off the top of my head, if my standard desktop hard drive was
> the 2.5" or 3.5" size.  So I pulled out the ruler, and measured the
> drive.  It is roughly 5.5" x 4" x 1".  It would seem to me that the 3.5"
> size is what I am looking for, but the drive is not 3.5" wide.  Why?

It sounds like you actually need a 5.5" enclosure. Desktop systems
usually use 5.5" drive because they're faster and cheaper. Most laptops
use 3.5" drives because even though they're slower and more expensive,
they're smaller. Really small laptops use 2.5" drives. I surprised you
only found 3.5" and 2.5" enclosures. The good news is that 5.5"
enclosures are usually much cheaper than 3.5" enclosures.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill