persisting file ownership

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Fri Feb 2 15:15:59 MST 2007

Daniel C. wrote:
> On 2/2/07, Jeff Schroeder <jeff at zingstudios.com> wrote:
>> You'll need to upload them to the server as that user.  Assuming you're
>> using SFTP or scp or (yuck) FTP, if you login as the Apache user, the
>> files you create will be owned by that user.
>
> I'm logging into the server via putty and creating the files with vi
> under my own user, which has write access to the document root but is
> not the Apache user.

I'd recommend using CVS or some other version control system. Check in
your code as your normal account on a testing only web server, and then
switch to the Apache user and update from CVS on the live web server. In
addition to preserving file ownership, it will also help you in many
other ways.

--Dave