A useful resource: Goodbye, MicrosoftR

Hill, Greg grhill at corp.untd.com
Fri Feb 2 15:15:33 MST 2007

> > Really?
> > http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=2357
> > http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=4229
> >
> > Oblivion needs some special case tweaking and stuff but there they
> > are....
> >
> > -Blake

Not exactly related to those games, but check out their write up for my
currently most-played game:

http://cedegawiki.sweetleafstudios.com/wiki/Battlefield_2

This is the kind of thing that scares me away.  BF2 is currently on
version 1.41, and it has only been tested up to 1.3 on Cedega (1.4 came
out probably 6 months ago).  They recommend using 1.22.  Now, this game,
like most, forces servers to upgrade to the latest version and clients
to have the same version as the server, so there are literally no
servers out there for the supported version.  On top of that, it can
only connect to severs not using Punkbuster because the Punkbuster stuff
doesn't work consistently under Cedega (according to forum posts linked
to from that wiki page).  Most BF2 servers use Punkbuster in the vain
hope that it'll prevent some cheaters from playing.  So, basically, even
though it's "supported" it's realistically unplayable.  And, on top of
that, it hasn't even been tested through a major patch and a minor
follow-up patch.  I could understand if it were some obscure title, but
BF2 is fairly popular.  I realize they may have limited resources, but
I'm just saying that Cedega isn't a viable solution for many people who
want to play games on Linux.

Greg