Router recommendations

Andrew Hunter andrewm_hunter at froghunters.com
Fri Feb 2 13:19:19 MST 2007

Brian Hawkins wrote:
> I have a dlink 604 at home and it does this very thing.  I route ssh
> from port 2022 to 22 on my linux box inside the firewall.  I think it
> was mentioned that his dlink didn't work for this?  What model is it
> and have you updated the firmware?
>
> Brian
Brian, I have the EBR-2310
(http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=478), with firmware version
1.05.  In their online firmware emulator, it says that the router has
"private port" forwarding, described as:

*/Private Port /* - The port number of the service being hosted by the
server computer on the LAN.

That is on the page
http://support.dlink.com/emulators/ebr2310/support_adv.htm#06.  I
couldn't figure out how to invoke that capability, so I emailed them and
asked them to do it.  They said:  "This is a miss print in the support
documentation. The EBR-2310 does not support Port Address Forwarding".
Hence, my current dilemma.  Once this is figured out, I get to see if I
can exchange it.  I bought the router from CompUSA.  I rather doubt
they'll take it back for reasons of functionality.

The WRT options mentioned already never occurred to me, but they're
certainly intriguing.  I'm reading about those now, and I may end up
just picking up a cheap router that has a reasonably high-speed WAN port
and can use the WRT firmware.  Thanks for those suggestions.

Andrew