persisting file ownership

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Feb 2 13:06:25 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 13:03 -0700, Daniel wrote:
> This is what I want to do.  I can open files on a remote server
> through gedit and it uses ssh/sftp.  I save the file and it saves it
> on the remote server.  I don't manually scp or sftp the file to the
> remote server.  Is there a setting on the client or server side that
> needs to change?  I am willing to change config files for ssh if need
> be.

If you set the parent folder on the server to setgid (chmod g+s) then
any file written to that folder will assume the group that the parent
folder has.  This of course won't do anything about the actual ownership
(which usually isn't a problem if the group is apache -- you must be a
member of it), nor will it enforce any particular umask.

Michael